PG Sawgrass 17 & TGC Sawgrass 17

fortysixandtwo

PG Sawgrass 17 & TGC Sawgrass 17

Postby fortysixandtwo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 am

Hello all. I recently updated tgc and there was a new tpc sawgrass course uploaded. I thought it would be interesting to compare the differences. I took both pictures on steam. I couldn't just jump to hole 17 with tgc, which is one of many pains with hb studios software. I have both for sim, but enjoy the pg game play, players and ogt here. I'm running a 980ti graphics card so I think I have everything pretty much maxed out, let me know if you see anything in the PG version that could be further tweaked..
We've all seen this view. :-)

And here's tgc tpc 17

sfr

Re: PG Sawgrass 17 & TGC Sawgrass 17

Postby sfr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:06 am

There are some very talented designers on TGC and I hate to say it but TGC would be nowhere without them.

The only thing when you play a course that is designer made on either TGC or PG you always question how accurate the terrain is as well as the green slope etc. when trying to replicate a real course.

I like the fact with PG designed courses that they are going to be as close as you can get and play the best. However there are a few gems coming up with some fictional ones that will play very nicely.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeah that new TPC Sawgrass version in TGC is way much better than the one I found last time I compared.
Cool to see that they are improving, because the majority of the real course reproductions in there just look ridiculous.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:56 pm

both look pretty damn good

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 pm

PG will be adding better water reflections soon and 3D grass is on their to do list.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10036

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OGTSimulatorTour/

goatbarn

Postby goatbarn » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:51 pm

To my eye, TGC looks more real there. But I think it's mostly the water reflections.
GC2
Eastern Standard Time (GMT -4:00)

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:23 pm

Google TPC Sawgrass 17th and check the images it finds.
Only way to get that level of reflection in real life like TGC has is if the water is dead calm but then it's like a mirror.
As soon as there is any wind it looks more like PG. So if we are looking for realism, PG is the winner.
If you want spectacular and cool, I guess TGC wins.

But I guess we can debate this forever since it's related to taste.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

sfr

Postby sfr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:03 pm

I wonder what TGC's looks like from the other tee's.........

Sorry couldn't help it....

Actually they are just missing a few things like multiple tee's, working mini map and the other couple on the first request list. That would help them a bunch.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:58 pm

sfr wrote:I wonder what TGC's looks like from the other tee's.........

Actually they are just missing a few things like multiple tee's, working mini map and the other couple on the first request list. That would help them a bunch.

Strange that these basic features that were requested over a year ago still haven't been added. Either it can't be done with the current version or HB wants too much money for these features. For the first time ever, we now have 2 real competing simulator software in PG and TGC. Consumers win.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Mthunt

Postby Mthunt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Zmax wrote:
sfr wrote:I wonder what TGC's looks like from the other tee's.........

Strange that these basic features that were requested over a year ago still haven't been added. Either it can't be done with the current version or HB wants too much money for these features. For the first time ever, we now have 2 real competing simulator software in PG and TGC. Consumers win.

Not only "real" but real good. It's great for buyers. If PG gets the frenzy of course design like TGC they'll win. The good user designed courses have become cult like in TGC.

fortysixandtwo

Postby fortysixandtwo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:38 am

I look forward to seeing what real courses PG publishes, as well as user created courses. I hope that Augusta, Pebble, and the Old course come out soon. I'd like to see an executive par 3 course, something that jr golfers can use, or mini range target games.

I like that PG has sim features already working. Multiple tees, touch screen support, aiming on mini map, par 3 challenges, etc. These features are why my son and I play PG pretty much whenever we practice.

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:54 am

There's a par 3 18 hole course that we will put up for download once the game is released. Also, a lot of the courses have challenge tees. I.e. tee box in bunker from 50 yards out, etc..
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 am

Here is another comparison of a signature hole.
The TGC version is the highest rated I could find. So the question is do you want 1 that is great or 165 versions that are not.
We could go on and on with this comparison and in some rare cases we will find a view that's close but in 99.9999% PG wins hands down.
That is unless you want that fake mirror reflection on the water. Then TGC is the clear winner!

Photo
MedinahCC13C_3wdprs.jpg
MedinahCC13C_3wdprs.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 3444 times

TGC
Medinah_hole13_TGC.jpg
Medinah_hole13_TGC.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 3444 times

PG
PG_Medinah_hole13.jpg
PG_Medinah_hole13.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

goatbarn

Postby goatbarn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 am

What's the phrase....opinions are like ***holes? lol
GC2

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:23 am

goatbarn wrote:What's the phrase....opinions are like ***holes? lol

LOL, I take you disagree? This is a forum where opinions are shared. Do tell us what you think.
Worst thing that can happen is that we learn something new.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

goatbarn

Postby goatbarn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:33 am

No I just disagree with the 99.9% comment. But its opinion, so who am I to say?

The good thing is that they're both options, so you can choose whichever one you'd like.

To me, if TGC had the community, community leaders, and some of the sim features of PG, it'd be hand over fist the best option. But it doesn't, so to me, there are pros/cons to both.

But again, I don't have your eyes, obviously, so my preferred look doesn't align with yours.

I'm sure you've heard that phrase before though, certainly not calling you an ***hole.
GC2

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 am

No offense taken. The guys over at HB studios have some serious skills and resources.
If they ever decide to make a realistic game for simulators and adopt it for that specifically, then we will have a killer product.
One can only hope.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:16 am

I used to think TGC was great until we played the Ryder cup. Multiplayer sucks on TGC. It's still not in real time. Players will sometimes see different things. When players get dropped, it's a pain to sync them back in. Try to play in a 3 or 4 some and you will see.

PG looks great now and will look even better when better water reflections are put in and 3D grass added. Course count will go to 43 or so at release. Actually, you'll see on our review page what courses will be available sometime today. Can't download them yet obviously. Also, PG will release PGA tour stop courses as official DLC.

To me game play and features are very important and PG already have plenty.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

v8burble

Postby v8burble » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 pm

Interesting thread and I've been reluctant to publicly comment on PG v TGC as I enjoy both tours, forums and simulators, but can't resist.

The biggest difference I've seen between the two, other than all the sim options mentioned previously, is the more natural and interesting ball bounce/roll. On PG I've seen shots skip out of bunkers, seen great chip and run around the edge of the greens. More natural roll on fairways. Faster, more challenging greens. I've also seen more bugs, expected with beta etc.

With TGC I just get the feeling the shot will land and stop. Chipping near the green if I hit it short it has little/no chance of running through onto the green. Some challenges with reading grid for putts when you can't clearly see the hole and the preview zooms the camera too far. More slick menus(in my opinion), save replay option, commentary(which is gimmicky but I like it).

Whilst I enjoy both I just get a better feel from PG and feels more like the real thing. That said, I seem to be able to fly through a round on TGC considerably quicker than PG.

I love both, will continue to play both and as was mentioned earlier - the consumer is the winner.
UK - GC2 & HMT, SkyTrak and golf simulation reseller.

Return to “Other Simulator Discussions”