common bad ideas and misstakes.

Moderators: Zmax, Shankygolf

Tretee

common bad ideas and misstakes.

Postby Tretee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Here is one.

(careful what you ask for, you might get it and then some)

Have been struggling for quite some time with high spin and high launch with the driver.
Happened in part due to significant increase in club head and ball speed since last year.

Obvious conclusion. I need a new driver so let's go and do some fitting.
Current driver 12deg loft SLDR (turned down to 10.5deg loft )with a tour X-stiff shaft.

A few fitting sessions suggested that the answer is Ping G LS tec 9deg loft, with an even heavier X stiff shaft with higher torque. (Diamana Kalli 70 X-stiff)
Lost a few mph swing speed and ball speed but spin and LA was lower, and it felt much more forgiving.

Now while waiting for the new driver. I used the suggestion from a recent lesson and tips from Shane to tune the swing.
Turns out, the club was the lesser part of the problem. The old driver was now launching at 12 deg and spin was down to 2.4k avg from some 2.9k avg before.

Enter the new driver. This time with the tuned swing.
Wooow! Spent 1 day just trying to not hit the ball of the bottom of the face. Difference was massive and LA was painfully low.
After some more tuning, spin is OK but LA is way to low.
So I guess more swing tuning is needed. The lesson here is that while tempting to solve a swing flaw with a new driver, it's useless to do a fitting with that flaw.
Here is a good shot. The bad ones are similar but launch around 7 deg. I know what the answer is. (hit up on the ball) I am working on it ... Not buying any more drivers:-)

drive.jpg
drive.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

HoganWoods

Re: common bad ideas and misstakes.

Postby HoganWoods » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:16 pm

The SLDR is one the lowest spinning drivers ever made. If that one didn't bring your numbers down, nothing would of. I recently bought the TM M1. I will tell you right now that one makes a difference. Once you groove your swing, I suggest you give it a hit.

Great work on the swing - huge speed!

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:33 pm

I tried the M1 & M2. Overall good performance but shots that felt OK did not behave as expected.
Performance data was a tad better than the Ping but the Ping was the opposite in feel.
Shots that felt OK behaved well and those that where a bit off center and flaky behaved well also.

So I went with the less carry and more Fairway's decision.

PS.
If performance would have been the main decision criteria I would have gone with the Nike vapor fly pro.
Outperformed all the other clubs by a noticeable amount. That is when I managed to hit it well, unfortunately with that club. Not very often.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Very interesting. Nike made some good clubs i still have my nike blades and love them.

sfr

Postby sfr » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Wow that's over 290 yds carry. Hate to see what you would get with a little more LA on that shot.

I love my slider. Low spin, high launch and great carry.....
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I could have told you that Davor lol

Its the driver thats the problem not the driver ;)
I help people learn to love their golf swing!
In person, Online and LIVE online lessons available
http://www.shankygolf.co.uk
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:13 pm

If you have the skills required to control it, I definitely recommend trying the Vapor Fly Pro.
I got a few 178 mph ball speed shots and they are giving them away. (less then 1/2 the price of the Ping)
Was tempted to buy both but the better half was there shaking her head in dis-pare, so I made the boring smart decision.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 pm

If you watch The Golf Channel in the US, you might have seen the show Driver vs Driver. The winner has been marketed by Wilson as the Titan. The numbers by the celebrity golfers were unbeliveable. It's available now for $450 but it's waiting USGA certification....:)
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10041

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1397433557053693/

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Zmax wrote:If you watch The Golf Channel in the US, you might have seen the show Driver vs Driver. The winner has been marketed by Wilson as the Titan. The numbers by the celebrity golfers were unbeliveable. It's available now for $450 but it's waiting USGA certification....:)

That thing looks pretty cool actually...

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Zmax wrote:If you watch The Golf Channel in the US, you might have seen the show Driver vs Driver. The winner has been marketed by Wilson as the Titan. The numbers by the celebrity golfers were unbeliveable. It's available now for $450 but it's waiting USGA certification....:)

Checked it out on YouTube. Very interesting.
Looking forward to hear your review after you test shoot it.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

sfr

Postby sfr » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 pm

The thing is, no driver can have a spring effect to give more distance, so it comes down to if that Driver can be swung faster to get better ball speed or that it has the ultimate low spin with high launch effect on the ball so that it can carry further.

The problem is when this happens, will you get the results on the sim? That is what we or I have been fighting with for some time now with the new drivers (SLDR) that we have now, and keep getting told that the GC2 is wrong. When you have compared the real ball carry on a range and had someone spot the landing area and compare to find the GC2 was even a bit low, you then know for real you can hit that far in real life.

There is something with the low spin and higher LA shots carrying more than what most of the older flight models would have thought.

It will be interesting to see if this new driver follows that same idea to get better carry. Looking forward to someone trying one.

For me, I am not swinging my new driver any faster than I would have swung a couple years ago, but get better carry than I ever did with the same swing speed.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 pm

I don't know too much about drivers but from what I do know the forgiving drivers spin more and the more 'advanced' drivers like the SLDR or a few others spin less. When you hit them well they launch forever but when you don't, the misses are less forgiving than say a PING G30. As for the GC2 I think we simply think it exaggerates, not that it's wrong. Today I was doing a lesson with Shanky and we had me swing a driver as hard as I could. The GC2 readout was 10-15 yards more carry than the game driving range. If I got the carry the GC2 displayed I would of went further than what I think I'm capable of in real life. Who knows - maybe GC2 is correct but when all other sources say they exaggerate this type of shot - chances are there's some truth to it.

Edit: With drivers being already 'maxed' out for a decade now as you've said Lyle - it looks like its more about fitting your driver to the player's swing characteristics. These adjustable drivers are awesome but for me it has been a shaft change that has made the biggest difference.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:21 pm

I just got a new shaft on eBay for my new driver as an experiment.
Have not made up my mind on the whole shaft fitting topic yet, but between the 2 theories.
1. Take your swing to the fitting session and find a shaft that makes the most out of it.
2. Take the best possible shaft e.g high torque and the swing weight you have on other clubs and then learn how to swing it so it produces the best possible result.

I am leaning towards 2 for everybody that are not pro's and already have a super consistent swing they don't want to mess with.
Comments?
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:06 am

For me changing shafts was an accident. I was just browsing a golf store really and hitting a few drivers for fun. The guy got me a few clubs and I was really loving one. After I was done testing he told me the shaft was a Project X 6.0 custom install that someone ordered and never picked up. Also had an upgraded grip which felt awesome. My wife knew it was coming home with us lol

Return to “Anything Goes”