computer players

Moderator: HeNs

penrose

computer players

Postby penrose » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:56 am

When setting the level of the computer player is 1 very good or very bad. Ideally I would like to setup the a computer player who will shot between 88 and 93

thanks.

Armand

Re: computer players

Postby Armand » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 pm

penrose wrote:When setting the level of the computer player is 1 very good or very bad. Ideally I would like to setup the a computer player who will shot between 88 and 93

thanks.

I don't use the AI, although I have set up a few players (I'm not patient enough to wait for them to shoot!). The lower the number, the lower the ability of the AI. I'm not sure that 1 is "very bad", but it's "less good" than 10. There may be some other users that can advise what setting might result in a bogey golfer.

You could set up a few AI players and have them play the same course. If you take on this yourself, I'd suggest setting all attributes for one AI player to 1 (and name that player AI-1), set another one to all 2, all 3, etc. Let 8 of them go out on a course and play 18 holes and see what scores they shoot. Actually, I may try to do that myself as well!

Of course, not all attributes need to be the same value. Another test would be to set a player with all the same attributes except one (say putting). Then you could hopefully see what impact that attribute has on scoring. I can see endless possibilities, so I hope someone comes along with attribute suggestions for a bogey golfer!

tanman05851

Postby tanman05851 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am

penrose wrote:When setting the level of the computer player is 1 very good or very bad. Ideally I would like to setup the a computer player who will shot between 88 and 93

thanks.

If you look at my sig you can see what level I use for my AIs.I also use John Meyer setting which is all ones except snap which is 7.They will generally play about par which I know is not what you are after but if I was going to try to make a worse AI the snap accuracy is what I would play with. Definitely put them on Tour Pro.-Tyler
Windows 10 Pro-Intel Core i5 760 2.8 GHZ Quad Core-Asus P7P55d PRO 55 motherboard-8 GB DDR3 1333mhz memory-Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell s2409w monitor-3C

AIs 2,2,3,3,3,6 TP Aggressive and Controlled

Armand

Postby Armand » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Based only on two rounds for each AI player, it seems to me that perhaps use 2 for the settings across the board may end up as a bogey golfer (that is set at Tour Pro with "Controlled" state of mind for the computer player). The two rounds of players I tested with settings all at 1 ended up at +32 and +24 (at Florida Glades). In the same round, I had two players set at 3 across the board and they shot +8 and +11. The ones at 5 across the board were -5 and -7 (if memory serves) and the players at 7 shot -9 and -11. One observation: the lower ability players sometimes shot away from the hole on short putts (less that 5 feet)

These are really only the first stages of getting the setting correct, so you're probably best going with John Meyers' settings or with what tanman (Tyler) posted above.

As an option for you, you could play some rounds that have been recorded by players. Most of the recorded rounds are probably well below your wanted scoring, but I can attest that most of mine are right in the ball park! I'd put my handicap in JNPG to be about 14 or so. You can find recorded rounds by reading the thread at the link below. I play at Tour Pro level, but I rarely break 85.

http://www.perfectparallel.com/topic/87 ... ick-login/

If you need help locating the rounds with higher scores, let me know and I'll gather them for you.

Return to “Perfect Golf Game”