Perfect Golf Updates

Moderator: HeNs

sliceapotomu

Re: Perfect Golf Updates

Postby sliceapotomu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 pm

curent build is 1711181 as viewed in my library... Does any one know if this is the correct 1.4.2.3 update cause I still show 1.4.2.2 when launching game

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 pm

version display issue only
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10036

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OGTSimulatorTour/

jasefarrell74

Postby jasefarrell74 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 am

Hi guys, I am having problems with steam downloading the new PG update, keep getting a steam error (connection time out). Is anyone else having problems, any ideas? Cheers Jase.

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:33 pm

new PG build with Skytrak stability fixes being pushed out now
build 1765683
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

RagnarD

Postby RagnarD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am

I've got a Skytrak and got worse stability this weekend. I couldn't play a round Saturday. Then had to play both tournament rounds Sunday. On Sunday, especially in the morning, many times my Skytrak disconnected one way or another. Many times red dot showed armed, but no reaction in JNPG. I found I had to disconnect and reconnect several times. Frustrating to hit 2 drives, no response, fiddle, hit 2 more drives, fiddle some more, then it finally recognizes the fifth drive which is my worst swing of the set. That happened 3-4 holes. Also had a similar deal with hitting 5 or 6 puts with trying to connect/disconnect in between, and finally it registers a poor one.
This is different from past behavior, and don't know if it is due to the new patch or PP server being unstable while I'm playing.

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Thu May 11, 2017 7:34 pm

From Andrew of PP:

I know its been quiet around here so I thought it was probably time we posted an update on what we have all been up to....

From the few recent releases we have continued to fix a few bugs in the existing version of JNPG and also continue to push changes to the Simulator Version and supported devices.

The beginning of the year for us is always taken up with improvements and upgrades to our Broadcast Suite Products in preparation for the new Golf Season.
However, since we returned from our TV work in Georgia we have been hard at work on a lot of base improvements to the underlying engine. Without getting into too many details we realized that without a significant improvement to both our networking and our internal event system we had reached the limit of the performance improvements and functionality adds we could continue with. So we decided now was the perfect time to revisit both of these tasks. These efforts will result in a much simpler set of game play code which will make fixing certain bugs much easier without impacting other areas of the code as well as vastly reduce the amount of data being sent back and forth between the players in a game. This will in turn lead to a much smoother game play. This redesign will also allow us to open up much more freedom within the game to allow for players to play independent of the other players thus allowing Fast Play, Turn based individual play where you are always in control of your player and not being moved by the camera system in a turn based style. It will also open up things like other players on the course and spectators.

We realize that it feels like we are not doing much with the game at this time but this is far from the case. This rather boring work is necessary to move the game to the next level. The improved network performance will buy us some much needed CPU performance which can be used to further the visuals in the game. We are working hard with the new Unity 5.5 lighting system to develop a much more immersive and depth based lighting that will make the game feel more alive. Sometimes you just have to take a step back to take a leap forward.

We have finished 90% of the Turf Effects integration for the initial pass at its inclusion in Perfect Golf.

I am sure many of you are interested in some of the other items we have talked about including Career Mode and as we have more details we can divulge we will of course discuss them but rest assured Career Mode is most definitely part of the new development cycle. As of course are new characters with some customization capabilities as well as new animations.

We will be pushing 1.4.2.4 this weekend. Mostly a bug fix release plus a work around for the fact that Steam has broken the invite system. Also includes many simulator improvements

Please feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I will attempt to answer them to the best of my ability. We are working hard on a lot of improvements to the game but many of them are very fundamental to the engine and do not produce much to talk about.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Sun May 14, 2017 7:45 pm

1.4.2.4 was released to the public earlier today

From Andrew:

We are pleased to release another patch for Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf.

This patch addresses the following issues

Bugs

Fixed No Reads on SkyTrak Launch Monitors
Fixed First Tee Mulligans so only available on Hole 1
Changed Dots on Swing Meter to make them more visible especially in sand
Added a console command to allow changing of the Wind Meter Color to make it more visible on cloudy days - game_windColor
Added code to support our new Mobile Game Companion App that will allow remote control of the game and show shot data for each shot.

Improvements

Added 1FT and 3FT gimmies

New Features

Added Drive Chip and Putt Challenge that uses the 2018 Rules for DCP
To play a DCP challenge use a course file specifically created for the challenge. We have included a DrivePitch Course with this release. Each of the nine holes represents one of the 9 shots required in DCP competition
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 pm

From Andrew:

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.... On the subject of version chasing Unity 2017 is by and large the same as Unity 5.6 which is what we had started building the next version of the game on. Its just Unity changed their pricing model. One of the best things about Unity2017 is the move from .Net 2.0 to .Net 4.6 with all its async and await goodness (for the technical minded) which will make much of the data loading proceses much better and also make Xbox much easier.

We understand the value of the user course catalog and will try to make the conversion process as simple as possible. As Mike stated we would love to have a little exe that just does the conversion (remember crx to crz) but at the same time that may not be possible without taking away a significant amount of dev time from something else. But we will make it as easy and convenient as possible.

With any development cycle we begin with the engine (Networking, event system, etc) then we move on to Course Forge and then finally the asset loading, game play and the UI. We are currently finishing work on Course Forge. Part of the reason for limited amount of news is that talking about engine improvements is not very interesting and does not mean much to many as it has no real impact on features etc. However for us it means we can finally ditch steam networking and move to Unity networking which will open up cross device multiplayer.

We will shortly be moving on to Game Play and while I have started this the real news here is that we are moving from a player based game play to a ball based gameplay. Many of you will know if all the bugs that were floating around from Alternate Shot which we played Whack A Mole with during PG1. This decision will vastly improve the game flow and allow for much easier game flow mechanics. For example the old concede code was over 200 lines of code. With the new game play it is about 10.

I am sure Mike will do a post once CF development is finished covering the new things that will be in CF.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm

From Mike J:

Sorry it's been a bit quiet with PG2 development news.

We have recently upgraded to Unity 2017 to take advantage of all the latest graphics tech as well as a lot of the new and streamlined multiplayer functionality which will enable us to have asynchronous play as well as the turn based multiplayer we already have.

We have no new animations to show at the moment but what we can show is the latest lighting, atmospheric scattering and 'Turf Effects' development as well as new CourseForge functionality to help slightly randomise the bunker edges for an even more realistic look. No 'cookie cutter' edge bunkers here :D

We're progressing steadily onward towards Perfect Golf 2 but as a small team it takes longer than we all would all like I'm sure!

GC2 US CST
Site Admin

buesch

Postby buesch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 am

thanks for the update!

Wow, the pictures simply look amazing! Make's me feel being on the course! Fantastic work!

Looking forward for some animations and of course can't wait for PG2, as we all can't, but we will have to :-)

I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

cheers

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:33 pm

1.4.3.0 released

Lots of simulator fixes:
Up and Down Points Chip In Fix
Simulator Offset Fix
Simulator Pass Demo
Auto Putt Feature for Sim
Add Guest Feature when at home play and no player set up (Will get default clubs)
Fix TouchSScreen Bug
RTSM Splash Shot Fix (this added more chance for a fat shot)
New Wind Model
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

sliceapotomu

Postby sliceapotomu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Not sure how the Sim guys are liking the wind update, But I think something is amiss for the Pc side.Wind is playing a bit extreme in my opinion here is a test session with just the driver carry's with 2 diff power levels and the 8 degree 11, and 14 launch angles.
test conditions.jpg
test conditions.jpg (134.11 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

More concerned with carry than roll out( because of bounces on fairway do differ) but Think there are issues with that as well.
Driver hit 20 shots at 114% power each to get a good average 8 degree 265 carry tot yards 278
Driver hit 20 shots at 114% power each to get a good average 11 degree 274 carry tot yards 282
Driver hit 20 shots at 114% power each to get a good average 14 degree 276 carry tot yards 280

Driver hit 20 shots at 98% power each to get a good average 8 degree 246 carry tot yards 259
Driver hit 20 shots at 98% power each to get a good average 11 degree 252 carry tot yards 258
Driver hit 20 shots at 98% power each to get a good average 14 degree 254 carry tot yards 260

sfr

Postby sfr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:37 pm

sliceapotomu wrote:Not sure how the Sim guys are liking the wind update, But I think something is amiss for the Pc side.Wind is playing a bit extreme in my opinion here is a test session with just the driver carry's with 2 diff power levels and the 8 degree 11, and 14 launch angles.

More concerned with carry than roll out( because of bounces on fairway do differ) but Think there are issues with that as well.
Driver hit 20 shots at 114% power each to get a good average 8 degree 265 carry tot yards 278
Driver hit 20 shots at 114% power each to get a good average 11 degree 274 carry tot yards 282
Driver hit 20 shots at 114% power each to get a good average 14 degree 276 carry tot yards 280

Driver hit 20 shots at 98% power each to get a good average 8 degree 246 carry tot yards 259
Driver hit 20 shots at 98% power each to get a good average 11 degree 252 carry tot yards 258
Driver hit 20 shots at 98% power each to get a good average 14 degree 254 carry tot yards 260

Without spending hours testing, for me I think the wind is much better and feels right. What is funny is reading the PP forum and seeing guys talking about playing with a 30 - 40 mph wind and saying it has too much effect on moving the ball. I know for us here when we play in a 20 kph wind, not mph, it has a big effect on the ball flight. A 31 mph wind is 50 kph. 14 mph is 22.5 kph. We just don't play in winds when they get into the 30 kph range and yes a drive can move 50 yards sideways with a wind like that.

What you can't tell on the PC click play is what effect you are having on the back spin with the slower swing speed and lower LA so it is hard to compare to your numbers. On the sim and as in real life golf, when you swing easier, you tend to get less spin on a shot and into a wind that is the key. Also a lower LA may carry less yards but it should roll further once hitting the ground than a higher shot which may carry further but stop quicker due to the angle of decent.

There are still issues with low LA shots that bite too much on the greens and fairways compared to what they would in real life but so much tweaking has been done to stop the back spin issues and balls running too much on the fairway that I think it created other issues. There are times yet a ball will roll on a fairway with a side slope and go from one side of the fairway to the rough on the other with a very slow rolling ball, but yet a low driving shot will stop quick on the fairway and not roll out much and that same slow rolling ball does not come into play.

I personally would like to see fairways stimp out at about 6 and not 8 like they have been. Have not tested that lately but assume it is the same.

We sim players also have a lot more invested into the game than the PC players and I think things should be set up so that it plays like real life and not worry that a PC click player can't hit a shot 300 yds with a head wind. Us sim players are happy to see a 220 yd carry into a wind as we would in real life at times.

I think on the sim side the game is playing better now than it ever has. Is there still room to improve..... yes.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

LuckyMcD

Postby LuckyMcD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Anyone know of a timeframe for the updated Course Forge on Unity 2017, or if it's still even planned. Mike Jones mentions it in this thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/288140/d ... 942469613/
but I can't find information on it anywhere else.

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Same time as PG2 beta starts I think.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

LuckyMcD

Postby LuckyMcD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:55 pm

If that is the case Max, is there a timeline for that anywhere? At least a proposed one would be nice. I'm fully aware that timelines don't always work out.

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 pm

From Andrew,

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 PM
I wanted to pop in to apologise about how quiet we have all been. Its been a whirlwind 8 months and there has been so much to do. While I really cannot divulge too much information let me provide you all with what I can.
1) Our work on PG2 continues apace and we have been able to add a couple of people to the team. PG2 will become the core of all our work with TM.
Beyond that until we have got further down the road (we are moving quicker now) it is hard for me to get into too much detail. I hope you all understand that we cannot comment on too much.
It took the 4 of us (Ivan Mike Brian and I) a long time to get PG1 out and PG2 is not just a re release of PG1 with some added features it is a whole new engine built from the ground up so it is going to take us just as long (maybe a little less with some additional resources). Our initial goal is to get PG2 to the same place as PG1 from a functionalily perspective before moving on to other areas. So please no questions about Career Mode.
The Trackman Simulator was released a week or so ago so and we have been doing a lot more broadcast TV work. You can check out our stuff during the Players both on the Golf Channel and NBC
But so you know that we are all alive, and continuing to work on PG2 I thought I should post a little message.
All the best... Andrew
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Return to “Perfect Golf Game”