Shortgame ball testing with GC2 Quad

HoganWoods

Shortgame ball testing with GC2 Quad

Postby HoganWoods » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNamzo0B6Fg

This is pretty interesting to see different shots from grass and the spin numbers.

sfr

Re: Shortgame ball testing with GC2 Quad

Postby sfr » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Not a surprise to see the Velocity spin a lot less but funny that they did not know why one might want to use that ball. Less spin on the driver gives more carry. In the case of a Velocity, a fair bit more carry.

Wonder how often they cleaned the groves on the club when testing?

I would like to get hold of some of the Costco Kirkland balls and test. So far we can't get them here in Canada. Might have to someone in the States to see if they can pick some up.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Has anyone ever tried hitting from rough compared to fairway and got any decent numbers. I'd be very interested in those

Guess getting a read could be tough and prob why it's not been done.
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 pm

One of them said something i found interesting. They said it might actually be easier to chip with the low spin ball because you can reasonably expect it to roll out the same each time because of its low spin range. Not much difference when it's that low. Of course you lose the ability to play certain check type shots, but for some people that only do bump and runs I can see that ball working well.

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:12 pm

There's another video where he course tests PROV1 vs DT Soft something and he actually gets 8000 spin on a 60 yard shot with the DT ball. I found that impressive. It was also sub 2000 off the tee where as PROv was around mid 2000s. Lots of interesting options.

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

sfr wrote:I would like to get hold of some of the Costco Kirkland balls and test. So far we can't get them here in Canada. Might have to someone in the States to see if they can pick some up.

Costco has been sued by Titleist. They will never sell the kirkland ball again. That's what I've heard from a buddy I golf with who works at Costco.
GC2 PDT

Thinman

Postby Thinman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm

actually, Costco has sued Acushnet, the makers of the Titleist brand. Costco likely has a legal budget larger than Acushnet's entire market cap.

I still have 10 dozen ksigs :)

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:45 am

Thinman wrote:actually, Costco has sued Acushnet, the makers of the Titleist brand. Costco likely has a legal budget larger than Acushnet's entire market cap.

Thanks for the clarification, Yes Aucushnet is the company that deals with titleist balls, I had heard though it was them suing Costco and not the other way around. Either way, I haven't tried the ksig ball but I'm sold 100% on the TP5x, got 12 dozen personalized coming soon.
GC2 PDT

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 am

I have done similar tests many times with a lot of different balls.
In summary. The ProV1 is indeed a great ball when it comes to combined performance and especially green side spin and driver distance.
The difference to other "tour" level balls is either none or so small that even a tiny difference in strike or ... will invalidate the proV1 advantage.

I don't consider the "distance" 2 piece balls to be good enough mainly because of the low spin on short chip's.
So the strategy is basically buy whatever tour level ball (that I have tested and know is as good as ProV1) is on sale.
That normally ends up with a price that is 50% or less of a ProV1.

Right now the best bargain I have seen is on Nike RZN Platinum. That ball outperformed the ProV1 in pretty much everything when I tested it.
Before that I used a lot of TM lethal. Not quite up to ProV1 level on green side spin, but very close.

When I become as good as Shanky and dispersion is measured in inches as opposed to yards as it is now. Then I might stick to 1 ball brand and type :D
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:58 am

psgolfer wrote:
Thinman wrote:actually, Costco has sued Acushnet, the makers of the Titleist brand. Costco likely has a legal budget larger than Acushnet's entire market cap.

Thanks for the clarification, Yes Aucushnet is the company that deals with titleist balls, I had heard though it was them suing Costco and not the other way around. Either way, I haven't tried the ksig ball but I'm sold 100% on the TP5x, got 12 dozen personalized coming soon.

... would be interesting to hear from a TM employee what the difference is between TM Lethal and TP5x. Other than the the obvious, the marketing budget.
My guess is that it's no other difference. Oh yeah and that it has a trajectory that is like "swooooshhh" :D
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

VincentVega

Postby VincentVega » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 am

There is a new Kirkland ball listed on the USGA conforming list. So they do have another ball in the pipe. Whether or not it will ever make it to stores or be similar to the original K-Sig is yet to be seen. Agree with you about the TP5x performance, by far my favorite ball on the market at the moment. Pro V's and X's spin too much in the mid irons for my liking. The Taylormade ball offers the best balance of distance and feel around the green in my opinion.
GC2 U.S. CDT(GMT-5)

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm

I've seen so many great reviews on the TP5s now. I game the Project A balls and am curious to see what the TP5s are like for the extra 10$ or so per dozen.

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:56 pm

VincentVega wrote:There is a new Kirkland ball listed on the USGA conforming list. So they do have another ball in the pipe. Whether or not it will ever make it to stores or be similar to the original K-Sig is yet to be seen. Agree with you about the TP5x performance, by far my favorite ball on the market at the moment. Pro V's and X's spin too much in the mid irons for my liking. The Taylormade ball offers the best balance of distance and feel around the green in my opinion.

I switched this year from prov1x to the tp5x for a few reasons. 1 - the new 2017 titleist ball is very misleading compared to prior generations. They are now saying the V1 is farther and softer and the V1x is higher launch. I asked our pro to try a sleeve of the tp5x and fell in love it with it.

My only knock on the tp5x is it scuffs really, really easily. I've gone through 1 sleeve in 7 rounds so far as I find I'm changing the ball after it dings a tree or path. Where the V1x would take alot to scuff. All in all though, for me, it's the best ball out there.
GC2 PDT

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 pm

HoganWoods wrote:I've seen so many great reviews on the TP5s now. I game the Project A balls and am curious to see what the TP5s are like for the extra 10$ or so per dozen.

Tell you what I'll do, I'll send you a sleeve when I get my order in, you just pay for shipping. PM me if you want to try one.
GC2 PDT

VincentVega

Postby VincentVega » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:36 pm

HoganWoods wrote:I've seen so many great reviews on the TP5s now. I game the Project A balls and am curious to see what the TP5s are like for the extra 10$ or so per dozen.

Rock Bottom has a pretty awesome deal going right now on previous generation TP balls. $60 for 3 dozen. The discount is due to Taylormade running out of packaging, so they come in Rock Bottom's plain packaging. I actually never tried last years version, but I know they were also highly touted as well. Maybe someone who's played the 2016 version can chime in.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/balls/ne ... gQodsTsCZA
GC2 U.S. CDT(GMT-5)

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks guys, I think I'll buy 3 and give it a try. Thanks for the offer Jon, but I'll get them here locally. I just did the same test as my OP in this thread for fun. I lasered my yard at 53 yards from one end to the other. I brought my gc2 out there and tried to find some form of reasonable grass lie. It was very hardpan. I brought out a Prov1, Prov1x, Nike RZN Black, Project A and Chrome Soft. I did not wipe anything down but I did clean my grooves on my lobwedge between shots. I hit a 30 yard pitch and a 45 yard pitch. Overall not much difference in spin at all and I really nipped them. It is pretty muddy out there though as half my yard is covered in snow so the face of the club was wet. Prov1 would go up to 5000. I launched them between 36 and 41 degrees. I got a few misreads up in the 9000s which I found funny also. I think if I had proper grass and no water residue on my clubface I could spin it more, but overall they all pretty much span within the same range. The Nike was consistently the lowest though.

I then grabbed some old balls that have been in snow for 5 months and those things didn't spin at all. Even old Prov1s that have been out there this winter would be around 2-3k spin on really cleanly hit shots.

Not really a controlled test by any stretch but just can't wait to hit some real golf shots so was fun anyway.

Return to “Foresight GC2”