Foresight flash module FYI

jasonsmith1979

Re: Foresight flash module FYI

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Not sure how much postage would be. Maybe the pricing would be better structured for the charge of the refurbishment and the owner incurs the postage costs. Something of this nature would need to be insured and preferably tracked to ensure prompt delivery. Both can be expensive as soon as you involve posting across the water.

Early days, the main thing for myself would be (to make the process viable) to find out the numbers interested and people's various locations.

aeroburner

Postby aeroburner » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:26 pm

I had Ckl start that role call as we were able to get group pricing for HMT and wanted a head count on GC2 owners that wanted to go to the HMT for a great price. I think the count is over 75 and ordered 5 HMTs for GC2 owners which they are now playing with. and I would be interested in what is being used over on this forum,

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:35 pm

What was the price that you managed to negotiate for hmt as I'd be interested in as well....

ryanoneill1

Postby ryanoneill1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:57 am

Not sure how true this is, but I was told when I called Foresight that I needed the latest firmware for the Super Flash.

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:21 pm

That's not strictly true, what you do need is an updated driver board housed inside the GC2 itself. To the cost of approximately £80 + delivery.
My issue has always been not necessarily the £500 price tag, it's the pro rata guarantee that they give. If they are that confident in a product they should be able to at least give a full 12 month no quibble warranty.
This has lead to me going down my own route for refurbishing my own flash units. Is it cost effective in the long run.... Don't know and it will all depend on the actual life of the super flash which we won't know for some time yet. I however always like to be in control over my money and the risk that is attributed to it. £500 is an awful lot of money when it isn't in any way guaranteed against breaking.
These things are being marketed as lasting 6 times longer than the original flash unit so why on earth would they not put in a standard 12 month. My first original lasted 18 months so it's conceivable that a super flash would last 9 years. We'll that's just crazy not to give that anything other than a 12 month.
My latest flash unit is working lovely and having the ability to replace at my will and for a greatly reduced cost is in my view sensible to say the least.
I will continue to harp on about this subject until foresight (who have made an amazing product in the GC2) back up their own statements with a guarantee that is worthy of the product.

Looking forward to seeing what they release in January. 6 years in the making, named GC3 by any chance ☺
Last edited by jasonsmith1979 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Has anyone used this new flash with firmware 3.5.1. If the new flashes do indeed require the newest firmware, this will be a huge problem because the new firmware does not support bluetooth. We need to figure this out sooner rather than later so that we can take steps to grab the shot data from USB if needed.

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:33 pm

The new firmware doesn't support bluetooth? In that case how do we use the GC2 with the tablet app?
I can understand foresight removing the bluetooth leak which enables us to use 3rd party software but then how do we use their android and ios app without bluetooth?

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:36 pm

jasonsmith1979 wrote:The new firmware doesn't support bluetooth? In that case how do we use the GC2 with the tablet app?
I can understand foresight removing the bluetooth leak which enables us to use 3rd party software but then how do we use their android and ios app without bluetooth?

I'm not sure if they have a way to enable it with their own apps. I do know from helping a new user earlier this week and the newest firmware did not allow his unit to be discovered by any bluetooth device. Once he reverted back it was fine. This, obviously, is a huge problem.

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Arrrrrr there we have it. Foresight have known about the bluetooth leak and has been a major pain in their behind with revenue that would otherwise have to be on their own software.
This means the new launch monitor will require the new software and their not being able to use 3rd party software.
For me that makes me a happy bunny as i was thinking about the resale value of my GC2. To have a GC2 that I can replace my own flash units and have bluetooth leak enabled to play my golf simulator of my choice means I'm in no hurry to upgrade to whatever foresight release.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm

jasonsmith1979 wrote:That's not strictly true, what you do need is an updated driver board housed inside the GC2 itself. To the cost of approximately £80 + delivery.
Looking forward to seeing what they release in January. 6 years in the making, named GC3 by any chance ☺

Could be that the super flash needs a longer exposure. E.g. it will therefore need a new firmware. Maybe that is why some of the brand new GC2's are missing so many shots. There could be a whole lot of reasons they concluded recently the new super flash needs new firmware.
At the same time it looks like they figured out how to turn off BT.
As for the missing warranty. Not offering that is plain stupid considering that the production cost for a super FLASH module is 20$ or less.

The new device from Foresight is allegedly called GCQ Q=quad as in 4 cameras.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Any idea on the advances to that of the standard gc2?

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:03 pm

They claim new faster image sensors. I think it's BS.
Form what I have seen so far it's GC2 + HMT in 1 big box.
Lower production cost and higher price.
Foresight logic.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm

I wondered when you said 4 cameras that +hmt was the idea.
Foresight what was wrong with the old image sensor? From experience my old gc2 is simply amazing and getting any more accurate measurements than at present for me would be such a pointless task it's silly and in the real world unnoticeable.
Why did they not go down the route of watching shaft dynamics together with hand/Wrist usage, now that would be cutting edge. Hmt dots on gloves or grip.....
Missed a trick here as that would open up a whole how field of instruction.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:52 pm

The "old" or currently used sensor is great but it's very expensive.
There are new sensors around now that are just as god but less than 1/2 the price.

As for the other stuff you wrote about. With everything that is going on in vision processing.
Someone will do it soon. No rocket science but a lot of work and dev cost.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Davor, in terms of a whole flash unit, how complicated is the pcb to in effect make from scratch, and I assume a casing could be 3d printed relatively easily.

Just wondering if things go completely tits up whether its feasible to in effect make a completely new flash unit?
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:24 pm

That whole design incl PCB and 3D printed case is dirt simple.
The challenge believe it or not is the pin header. (the pins that stick out of the module)
I have not been able to find a vendor where I could buy it in reasonable volumes.
I never bothered to ask what the min order is.
If you build a few 100 modules then that would be different.
You could probably negotiate a much better price for all components incl. tube and trigger coil.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Tretee wrote:That whole design incl PCB and 3D printed case is dirt simple.
The challenge believe it or not is the pin header. (the pins that stick out of the module)
I have not been able to find a vendor where I could buy it in reasonable volumes.
I never bothered to ask what the min order is.
If you build a few 100 modules then that would be different.
You could probably negotiate a much better price for all components incl. tube and trigger coil.

Depending on cost to assemble and parts I'd consider taking 50 and selling them in North America.
If costs could be kept to $50/unit assembled then that would make sense.
GC2 PDT

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:14 am

It would make a great deal of sense. I've all the equipment to be able to make everything except the casing as i don't have access to a 3d printer as yet.
I've also been looking a suitable alternatives to the pin array and I agree it's hard to get hold of anything like what we are looking for at a reasonable price range.
Still the most important thing by far is the discussion as bit by bit we are getting closer to the creation of a user made flash unit alternative to break the back of foresights over pricing.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 am

The most important point to consider is that we have not been able to locate a xenon tube that lasts more than some 5k shots.
That is assuming people don't want to mess with their GC2's and want a drop in replacement.

If that is acceptable I believe it's possible to produce and sell a module for 30$ incl a small profit to cover the labor.
I have a 3D printer and have designed PCB's for 30 years.
I could help to design the whole thing but would not be interested to manufacture and sell it.

A better alternative is to design a module that is easy to open and has screw terminals to replace the xenon tube.
That way you can sell a product kit that is 2 modules + 10 xenon tubes. replacing a tube should not require anything more than a screw driver and 3 min of work.
Assuming we can find the original manufacturer of the xenon tube assembly and other parts. I am sure this kit could be sold for 100$ with a decent profit.
(not Foresight level profit but something a bit more reasonable)
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

jasonsmith1979

Postby jasonsmith1979 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:22 am

That's a ton of work ahead. I'll be honest, I've got a cheap solution to the crazy no guarantee foresight flash idea. I'm happy to remove my flash unit, open the casing and de-solder and re-solder the replacement tube and pop it back in.
For me it's 20 minutes work(includes getting the tools from the garage and putting them back) as I've already gone to the pain in the bum job of opening up the casing.
20 minutes after 5'500 swings is fine by me.

I'm too busy with day job and my YouTube channel AskGolfNut to be able to allocate time to the construction of a non solder replacement option.

Return to “Foresight GC2”