MEGA flash

Tretee

MEGA flash

Postby Tretee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:51 pm

There is still some work left to determine if Mega flash will work with the oldest flash driver board.
The board versions that exists are N, N1, N2 & N3.
For GC2 serial number 4200 and up you probably (but not 100% certainly) have a N2 board and that means you are good to go.
The Mega flash is classified in 4 categories. Only cat 3 & 4 will run reliably on N2 & N3. I have high hopes that cat 4 will run on the oldest N & N1 boards but that has yet to be proven in testing. (Reliably means no miss-reads or "no reads" or any other kind of problems.)

Whatever flash situation you are in right now. You will be forced to find out sooner or later what driver board version you have. The OEM Super flash will run on N2 & N3 only. It runs but talk to a friend that has one before you buy it. Significant "no reads" have been reported regardless of driver board version.
A "no read" is when the GC2 detects a launch but gives you "-----" data in the display.

Here is how you can find out what driver board version you have.
Go to
http://www.foresightsports.com/video-instructions
and check out the battery replacement video on how to remove the back cover.
1.0 minutes in when they lift the cover. You will see a "DANGER..." sticker placed over a metal lid and blank PCB. Those are held by 5 screws.
Remove the 5 screws and lift the blank PCB to reveal the flash driver pcb. (There is no high voltage present if the GC2 has been turned off. Doing this operation while the GC2 is on could kill you if you don't know what you are doing. The main cap is charged with 435V)
On that board there should be a sticker or hand written indication showing one of N, N1, N2 or N3. Images below of what it might look like.
When you are done just reassemble everything back as it was before.
WARNING!!!
The other big aluminum cover without a sticker covers the image sensor board. It's OK to remove the cover but do not loosen the screws that hold the board.

driverBoardN2.jpg
driverBoardN2.jpg (88.07 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

driverBoardN.jpg
driverBoardN.jpg (68.11 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

sfr

Re: MEGA flash

Postby sfr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Sounds like from the other site that Andy says that the new mega flash being made should work on all units now.

Mine are both the 28XX ser numbers if I recall from memory.

Are you convinced of this yet or would they still put too much stress on the main board?
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 pm

sfr wrote:Sounds like from the other site that Andy says that the new mega flash being made should work on all units now.

Are you convinced of this yet or would they still put too much stress on the main board?

I think the other part of the puzzle is the 4.0.15 firmware needs to be on the GC2 reading from Andy's post.
GC2 PDT

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Best to wait for Tretee to say its all ready.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10036

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OGTSimulatorTour/

ryanoneill1

Postby ryanoneill1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 am

I have a 1000 level serial on GC2 and bought a mega flash from Andy 2 weeks ago. Been using it with no issues.

sfr

Postby sfr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm

ryanoneill1 wrote:I have a 1000 level serial on GC2 and bought a mega flash from Andy 2 weeks ago. Been using it with no issues.

Is that an GC2A version with that ser number or is it just that old? Mine in the 28xx range are old ones. They were way before the A versions. I have seen GC2A's with that 1000 range of ser number.

Keep us informed if any issues.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm

There are 3 different driver boards for all the GC2's that have been made so far. N & N1 being the same and then N2 & N3.
The N2 has been marketed as Super flash compatible and N3 as super flash ready. The older N & N1 as not Super flash compatible.
According to the latest roomer Foresight claims that all GC2's if using the latest firmware are now super flash ready.

Those of us that have received market feedback from several GC2 owners know that this is not as simple as that. Super flash owners regardless of board level or serial number have a lot of issues.
On top of that based on the research so far it's much more complicated than just flash driver board version since I have widely different results from various customers having GC2's that are even Super flash ready.

I have done a lot of advanced research and have hopes that I will reach a final conclusion on what is what, but we are not there yet.
Right now only way to be sure is to tell me what device you have and try a flash selected for your device. I am grading the flashes in 4 categories.
If the flash you get does not work flawless the current recommendation is to upgrade the driver board to N3 level.
Out of all the flashes sold so far I have 85% success rate and the rest is under investigation with serial numbers ranging from 1k - 11k.

As we move forward and more research results become available there might be a design that works on all versions of GC2 driver boards and firmware. We are not there yet. So if you want a flash please contact me so we can work out what works best for you.

And just to be clear.
I am the one who did all the development work on the Mega flash and came up with the name. Andy is a friend that participated and got all the results of the final design. E.g. we use the same material. The difference right now is in how the flashes are tested, tuned and produced. The more field tests results we get the better the product will become. So it is in all our interest to support one of us and buy a flash so we can all enjoy the benefits of an affordable alternative supply chain.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

sfr wrote:
ryanoneill1 wrote:I have a 1000 level serial on GC2 and bought a mega flash from Andy 2 weeks ago. Been using it with no issues.

Is that an GC2A version with that ser number or is it just that old? Mine in the 28xx range are old ones. They were way before the A versions. I have seen GC2A's with that 1000 range of ser number.

GC2 or GC2A is not relevant. The important part is the serial number. According to Foresight break point for N1 to N2 is 4200 serial. If you have a GC2 that is lower serial it needs to be confirmed what driver board you have.
While a Mega flash might work fine with your 1k serial there is no guarantee and if I had to guess I would say that chances are higher that it will not than that it will.
The reason you have seen GC2A with 1k serial is because Foresight did upgrade some of the old ones by exchanging the BT module to an Apple version and then updated the serial by adding an 'A'.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Do you know what version of flash driver board you have? Or is this one of those units that Andy upgraded to N3 level?
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:28 pm

psgolfer wrote:
sfr wrote:Sounds like from the other site that Andy says that the new mega flash being made should work on all units now.

I think the other part of the puzzle is the 4.0.15 firmware needs to be on the GC2 reading from Andy's post.

The 4.0.0.15 firmware has a Super flash problem solving adaptation that can either help you or make it worse. The final conclusion on what firmware and flash category is the best combo is not reached yet. Even Foresight still has a lot of Super flash problems that they have not solved yet and that is regardless of driver board version. To come out and claim that Super flash is now compatible with all GC2's in the market is strange considering that they have many brand new GC2's out there that still don't work flawless with the super flash.
As far as I am concerned the only acceptable result is no flash related miss reads, ever.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

ryanoneill1

Postby ryanoneill1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm

I do have a GC2A with a serial number in the 1000's.

sfr wrote:

ryanoneill1

Postby ryanoneill1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Not sure on the driver board. No, Andy didn't upgrade anything on my GC2. I did called and chatted foresight twice and they said all units were mega flash compatible.

here is chat with foresight:

will the super flash work on a GC2's?i have a GC2 like 1000 serial numbernot 1000 but an old GC2
Live chat operator avatar
Scott

Hello thank you for reaching out to FSS Technical Support Chat. How can I be of assistance today?

Scott

Yes. The super flash will work will all GC2 and GC2-T units

Tretee wrote:

Do you know what version of flash driver board you have? Or is this one of those units that Andy upgraded to N3 level?

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 pm

ryanoneill1 wrote:Not sure on the driver board. No, Andy didn't upgrade anything on my GC2. I did called and chatted foresight twice and they said all units were mega flash compatible.

here is chat with foresight:

will the super flash work on a GC2's?i have a GC2 like 1000 serial numbernot 1000 but an old GC2
Live chat operator avatar
Scott

Hello thank you for reaching out to FSS Technical Support Chat. How can I be of assistance today?

Scott

Yes. The super flash will work will all GC2 and GC2-T units

Tretee wrote:

I have a lot of data from various tests and feedback from people with super flash and would not trust that statement. But then again I am not an official FS support person so I guess everybody will have to decide what information source is the more credible one.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

brattenj

Postby brattenj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 pm

I have the GC2-T model. How do I figure out which flash I need? My original is going fast.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 pm

I have no idea, never seen a GC2-T in real life. But if we assume it uses the same flash modules like GC2.
Then you can go on manufacturing date. I would guess that since GC2-T is fairly new that it at least has a N2 level driver board.

If it uses the same module as the normal GC2, I can send you a module so you can try it. If it turns out that it does not work. You can send it back.
Shipping cost both ways will be on you and that is 15$ when I send it and whatever it turns out to be when you send it back. (if it comes to that)
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

brattenj

Postby brattenj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 pm

https://i.imgur.com/vduyCpX.jpg

Here’s a pic of my flash module.

Would definitely be interested in trying one of the flashes.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 am

That is a standard GC2 flash as we expected.
You have my email in the PM I just sent you.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Return to “Foresight GC2”